Anti-Littering Law: Things You Should
(Updated June 7, 2022)
1. What is the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law is MMDA Regulation No. 96-009 entitled, "PROHIBITING LITTERING/DUMPING/THROWING OF GARBAGE, RUBBISH OR ANY KIND OF WASTE IN OPEN OR PUBLIC PLACES, AND REQUIRING ALL OWNER'S, LESSEES, OCCUPANTS OF RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, WHETHER PRIVATE OR PUBLIC TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE CLEANLINESS OF THEIR FRONTAGE AND IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION THEREOF", which was enacted into law by the Metro Manila Council on the 22nd Day of August, 1996. The regulation was amended on May 6, 1999 by MMDA Regulation No. 99-006 and Sec. 48. of R.A. 9003 (entitled Solid Waste Management Act of 2000)
2. When did the Anti-Littering Law take effect?
The law originally took effect on September 15, 1996. The implementation of the law was suspended last August 2002 and re-implemented in Metro Manila since September 16, 2010.
3. What acts are prohibited by the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law prohibits the following acts:
- Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage;
- Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place;
- Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners;
- Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment;
- Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk);
- Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle;
- Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles; and
- Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.
4. Who have the authority to apprehend violators of this law?
The MMDA Environmental Enforcers was deputized by National Solid Waste Management Commission. They coordinate with LGU’s to monitor the major thoroughfares of Metro Manila. The Environmental Enforcers (EE) wearing the prescribe uniforn (Blue polo-shirt with MMDA logo), with deputation/mission order, identification cards (both MMDA’s ID and Deputation ID) clearly visible and displayed. They will be authorized to issue Environmental Violation Receipts (EVR) ticket to apprehended violator/s of the Anti-Littering Law. The deputized Environmental Enforcers are also authorized to file cases for non-compliance violators or non-payment of administrative fine/penalty and attend court hearing.
5. How much is the fine if you violate this law?
The administrative fine or penalties for violating the provisions of the Anti-Littering law, according to the nature of offenses, are as follows:
|Code||Nature of Offense||Nature of Offense|| Option 2
(Render Community Service)
|01||Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|02||Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|03||Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
|04||Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|05||Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk)||P1000.00||
16 hours (2 days)
|06||Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|07||Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|08||Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.||P1000.00||
16 hours (2 days)
6. Where to settle my violation?
OPTION 1 – Payment of administrative fine/penalty
- Report to MMDA Health and Sanitation Office at 7th floor of MMDA Bldg. Edsa Guadalupe, Makati City for assessment.
- Get Order of Payment and pay administrative fines at MMDA Treasury Office.
- Reminders wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, sleeveless t-shirt (male & female) are prohibited inside the MMDA building.
- For any Inquiries please contact (02) 8882-4150 to 77 Local 1130 Direct line 888-20870.
OPTION 2 –To render Community Service
- Inform and contact (8882-4150 to 77 Local 1130 or direct line 888-20870) Health & Sanitation Office regarding the schedule date for community service.
- Proceed at the designated area for community service as scheduled.
- Attends Lecture/Orientation on Anti-littering law after rendering community service.
- Violator will receive Certificate of Compliance after the community service.
- Reminders wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, sleeveless are prohibited while rendering community service
OPTION 3 – SM Bills Payment and Bayad Center
- Pay at any branch of SM Bills payment or Bayad Center under Meralco Company nationwide.
- Present your EVR ticket or summon letter and fill up form and pay administrative fines.
- You may call the next day at (8882-4158 Loc. 1130 or direct line 888-20870) to ensure payment of your fine.
OPTION 4 – Online Payment
- Use GCash application installed in your smartphone and ensure enough load. (Note: There is addition charge fee from GCash)
- Click Pay Bills then Government then MMDA.
7. What if the violators did not settle their violation?
1. Violators who fail to settle their violation will be sent Summon/Notice of violations to remind them of the violation committed.
2. If the violator ignores the summon, a case shall be filed against him/her in Metropolitan Trial Court (MTC) where he/she committed the violation.
3. Due process in court will be done in accordance with the Rules of Criminal Procedure and a copy of the filed case will be forwarded to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
4. After court proceedings and the violator is proven guilty, he/she shall pay the administrative fine as prescribed under the MMDA Regulation No. 96-009 at MMDA.
8. What if the violator fails to comply with the summons/notice of violations sent by MMDA?
Non-compliance of notice/summon will mean elevation of the case to the concerned Metropolitan Trial Court where your violation committed (Ex. Violation committed in MRT Cubao station, filing of case in Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court).
9. What if the violators ignore the subpoena sent by the concerned Metropolitan Trial Courts?
This filed case will be forwarded to National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for NBI record and MTC will issue “Warrant of Arrest” and forwarded to Bureau of Immigration.
10. For any inquiries?
For any inquiries, please contact the Health and Sanitation Services Coordination and Assistance Division. Trunk line: (02) 8882-4150 to 77 Local 1130 / Direct line: 8882-0870