July 24, 2022
MMDA: All Systems Go for PBBM's first SONA
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is ready for the first State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. to be held at the House of Representatives tomorrow, July 25.
MMDA held a meeting last Friday, July 22, to finalize the remaining preparations for PBBM’s SONA, including the implementation of a traffic rerouting plan as well as the deployment of personnel and equipment.
All assigned personnel are required to report at their designated post as early as 6 am. They are tasked to manage both vehicular and pedestrian traffic, respond to emergencies, clear roads, and assist in crowd control.
The MMDA previously announced the deployment of 1,133 personnel from the Traffic Discipline Office, Road Emergency Group, Sidewalk Clearing Operations Group, Flood Control, and Metrobase along Commonwealth Avenue and other roads leading to and within the vicinity of the Batasang Pambansa Complex in Quezon City.
Ambulances, tow trucks, fire trucks, mobile patrol units, motorcycle units, and other resources will also be deployed at designated routes and staging areas.
The agency continues to make necessary coordination with the concerned agencies pertaining to SONA-related activities.
It is in close coordination with the Task Force SONA 2022, Philippine National Police, National Capital Region Police Office, Quezon City Police District, Presidential Security Group, and Quezon City government to ensure a safe, peaceful, and orderly SONA.
The MMDA assisted in promoting Marcos’ first SONA by installing tarpaulins at the Pahayagan ng Bayan, a public service announcement tool of the agency, located along major roads in the metropolis and LED Boards along EDSA.
Press Secretary Trixie Cruz-Angeles requested the issuance of a clearance permit to utilize the MMDA’s Pahayagan ng Bayan for the installation of tarpaulins promoting Marcos’ first SONA which the agency approved.
The MMDA Public Information Office coordinated with the Office of the Undersecretary for Special Concerns for the installation of tarpaulins at Pahayagan ng Bayan pylons. More than 200 tarpaulins were installed along the major thoroughfares of Metro Manila.
The MMDA Traffic Engineering Center, for its part, has installed traffic advisory signages along alternate routes to serve as a guide to motorists. Plastic barriers and traffic cones will also be put up along Commonwealth Avenue, IBP Road, the Litex area, and other routes to be utilized by SONA attendees. The agency will provide plastic barriers which will serve as dividers for rallyists and motorists along Commonwealth Avenue.
As part of the agency's traffic management plan, a zipper lane or counterflow will be set up along Commonwealth Avenue to give way to vehicles of government officials and guests going to the complex.
* Southbound: from Quezon Memorial Circle to in front of Lido Restaurant
* Northbound: from Doña Carmen to Litex Road
A week before SONA, the MMDA Task Force Special Operations began clearing alternate routes in Quezon City to ensure that motorists could easily access the roads free from obstructions. A number of vehicles blocking the roads were either towed away or issued with citation tickets.
Motorists are advised to take alternate routes to avoid expected heavy traffic along Commonwealth Avenue and in the vicinity of Batasang Pambansa Complex during the SONA.
NORTHBOUND (Quezon Memorial Circle to Fairview)
• Vehicles from Elliptical Road should take North Avenue, turn right at Mindanao Avenue then turn right to Sauyo Road or take Quirino Highway, then Commonwealth Avenue to reach the point of destination.
SOUTHBOUND (Fairview to Quezon Memorial Circle)
• Vehicles from Commonwealth Avenue should take Sauyo Road or Quirino highway, turn left at Mindanao Avenue, then turn left at North Avenue to reach the point of destination.
Motorists using light vehicles may also opt to take:
NORTHBOUND (Quezon Memorial Circle to Fairview via Marikina)
• Light vehicles from Elliptical Road (QMC) should turn right at Maharlika St., turn left at Mayaman St., turn right at Maginhawa St., turn left at C.P. Garcia Avenue, turn right at Katipunan Ave., turn left at A. Bonifacio Ave., go straight to Gen. Luna Ave., turn right at Kambal Rd., turn left at GSIS Road, turn left at Jones St., turn right at Gen. Luna Ave., go straight to A. Mabini St., turn left at Rodriguez Highway, turn left at Payatas Road to reach the point of destination.
• Light vehicles from C5 Road may turn left at Magiting St., turn right at Maginhawa St., turn left at Mayaman St. to Kalayaan Avenue to reach the point of destination.
• All trucks coming from C-5 along Katipunan Avenue should take Luzon Flyover then turn left at Congressional Avenue to reach the point of destination.
Top of Form