Anti-littering (Updated April 2, 2019)
1. What is the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law is MMDA Regulation No. 96-009 entitled, "PROHIBITING LITTERING/DUMPING/THROWING OF GARBAGE, RUBBISH OR ANY KIND OF WASTE IN OPEN OR PUBLIC PLACES, AND REQUIRING ALL OWNER'S, LESSEES, OCCUPANTS OF RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, WHETHER PRIVATE OR PUBLIC TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE CLEANLINESS OF THEIR FRONTAGE AND IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION THEREOF", which was enacted into law by the Metro Manila Council on the 22nd Day of August, 1996. The regulation was amended on May 6, 1999 by MMDA Regulation No. 99-006 and Sec. 48. of R.A. 9003 (entitled Solid Waste Management Act of 2000)
2. When did the Anti-Littering Law take effect?
The law originally took effect on September 15, 1996. The implementation of the law was suspended last August 2002 and re-implemented in Metro Manila since September 16, 2010.
3. What acts are prohibited by the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law prohibits the following acts:
- Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage;
- Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place;
- Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners;
- Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment;
- Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk);
- Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle;
- Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles; and
- Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.
4. Who have the authority to apprehend violators of this law?
The MMDA have deputized Environmental Enforcers by National Solid Waste Management Commission. They usually coordinate with LGU’s to monitor the major thoroughfares of Metro Manila. These Environmental Enforcers (EE) will initially be in their blue polo-shirt with brown anti-littering vest uniform (with MMDA logo), with deputation/mission order, identification cards (both MMDA’s ID and Deputation ID) clearly visible and displayed. They will be authorized to issue Environmental Violation Receipts (EVR) ticket to apprehended violator/s of the Anti-Littering Law. The deputized Environmental Enforcers are also authorized to file cases for non-compliance violators or non-payment of the charge administrative fine or penalty and attend court hearing and other related court activities.
5. How much is the fine if you violate this law?
The administrative fine or penalties for violating the provisions of the Anti-Littering law, according to the nature of offenses, are as follows:
|Code||Nature of Offense||Amount of fine/ penalty||Option 2
(Render Community Service)
|01||Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|02||Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|03||Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
|04||Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|05||Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk)||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
|06||Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|07||Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|08||Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
6. Where to settle my violation?
OPTION 1 – Payment of administrative fine
- Report to MMDA Health and Sanitation Office for Office at 7th floor of MMDA Bldg. at Edsa Guadalupe, Makati City for payment of the charged administrative fine/penalty.
- Get Order of Payment and pay administrative fines at MMDA Treasury Office.
- Reminders wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, sleeveless t-shirt (male & female) are prohibited inside the MMDA building.
7th Floor Health and Sanitation Office , MMDA Bldg. Edsa cor. Orense St., Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City
For any Inquiries please contact (02) 882-4150 to 77 Local 1130.
OPTION 2 - To render Community Service
- Report at Health & Sanitation Office at 7th floor, MMDA Bldg. Guadalupe, Makati City for schedule Community Service. This usually under take every last Thursday of the month or if walk-in you should be at MMDA before 7:00 am.
- Attends Lecture/Orientation on Anti-littering law.
- Rendered community service at target area with sighted unsanitary condition and the issuance of Certificate of Compliance after the community service rendered.
- Reminders wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, sleeveless are prohibited inside the MMDA buildings.
7. What if the violators did not settle their charged violation?
- Violators who fail to settle their charged violation will be sent Summon/Notice of violations to remind their charged violation committed.
- If the violator ignores the summon a case shall be filed against him/her in Metropolitan Trial Court (MTC) where he/she committed the violation and apprehended.
- Due process in court will be done in accordance with the Rules of Criminal Procedure and a copy of the filed case will be forwarded to the National Bureau of Investigation of NBI clearance.
- After court proceedings and the violator is proven guilty, he/she shall pay the administrative fine as prescribed under the MMDA Regulation No. 96-009 at MMDA or the first option of settlement only. Thereafter, A Certificate of no case will be issued by Metropolitan Trial Court for submission to NBI for “clearance” purposes.
8. What if the violator fail to comply or reply to the summons/notice of violations sent by MMDA?
Non-compliance of notice/summon will mean elevation of your case to the concerned Metropolitan Trial Court where your violation committed (Ex. Violation committed in MRT Cubao station, filing of case in Quezon City trial court).
9. What if the violators ignore the subpoena sent by the concern trial courts?
This filed case will be forwarded to National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for NBI clearance and some violators with “warrant of arrest” will be submitted to Immigration Bureau for those violator/s who are in foreign countries.
10. For any inquires?
Please pay your charged violations you are only given three (3) working days as grace period upon issuance of EVR and for any inquiries, please contact the Health and Sanitation Services Coordination and Assistance Division. Contact Number: (02) 882-4150 to 77 Local 1130 / Telefax: 882-0870