MMDA's Scope of Services, its Functions and Powers
Scope of MMDA Services
Metro-wide services under the jurisdiction of the MMDA are those services which have metro-wide impact and transcend local political boundaries or entail huge expenditures such that it would not be viable for said services to be provided by the individual Local Government Units (LGUs) comprising Metropolitan Manila.
These services shall include:
- Development planning which includes the preparation of medium and long-term development plans; the development evaluation and packaging of projects; investment programming and coordination and monitoring of plan, program and project implementation.
- Transport and traffic management which includes the formulation, coordination and monitoring of policies, standards, programs and projects to rationalize the existing transport operations, infrastructure requirements, the use of thoroughfares, and promotions of safe and convenient movement of persons and goods; provision for the mass transport system and the institution of a system to regulate road users; administration and implementation of all traffic enforcement operations, traffic engineering services and traffic education programs, including the institution of a single ticketing system in Metropolitan Manila.
- Solid waste disposal and management which include formulation, and implementation of policies, standards, programs and projects for proper and sanitary waste disposal. It shall likewise include the establishment and operation of sanitary landfill and related facilities and the implementation of other alternative programs intended to reduce, reuse and recycle solid waste.
- Flood control and sewerage management which includes the formulation and implementation of policies, standards, programs and projects for an integrated flood control, drainage and sewerage system.
- Urban renewal, zoning and land use planning, and shelter services which includes the formulation, adoption and implementation of policies, standards, rules and regulations, programs and projects to rationalize and optimize urban land use and provide direction to urban growth and expansion, the rehabilitation and development of slum and blighted areas, the development of shelter and housing facilities and the provision of necessary social services thereof.
- Health and sanitation, urban protection and pollution control which include the formulation and implementation of policies, rules and regulations, standards, programs and projects for the promotion and safeguarding of the health and sanitation of the region and for the enhancement of ecological balance and the prevention, control and abatement of environmental pollution.
- Public safety which includes the formulation and implementation of programs and policies and procedures to achieve public safety, especially preparedness for preventive or rescue operations during times of calamities and disasters such as conflagrations, earthquake, flood and tidal waves; and coordination and mobilization of resources and the implementation of contingency plans for the rehabilitation and relief operations in coordination with national agencies concerned.
Functions and powers of the Metro Manila Development Authority
The MMDA shall:
- Formulate, coordinate and regulate the implementation of medium and long-term plans and programs for the delivery of metro-wide services, land use and physical development within Metropolitan Manila, consistent with national development objectives and priorities;
- Prepare, coordinate and regulate the implementation of medium-term investment programs for metro-wide services which shall indicate sources and uses of funds for priority programs and projects, and which shall include the packaging of projects and presentation to funding institutions;
- Undertake and manage on its own metro-wide programs and projects for the delivery of specific services under its jurisdiction subject to the approval of the Council. For this purpose, MMDA can create appropriate project management offices;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of such plans, programs and projects in Metro Manila, identity bottlenecks and adopt solutions to problems of implementation;
- The MMDA shall set the policies concerning traffic in Metro Manila, and shall coordinate and regulate the implementation of all programs and projects concerning traffic management specifically pertaining to enforcement, engineering and education. Upon request, it shall be extended assistance and cooperation, including but not limited to assignment of personnel, by all other government agencies and offices concerned.
- Install and administer a single ticketing system, fix, impose and collect fines and penalties for all kinds of violations of traffic rules and regulations, whether moving or non-moving in nature, and confiscate and suspend or revoke driver's licenses in the enforcement of such traffic laws and regulations, the provision of RA 4136 and PD 1605 to the contrary notwithstanding. For this purpose, the Authority shall enforce all traffic laws and regulations in Metro Manila, through its traffic operation center, and may` deputize members of the PNP, traffic enforcers of local government units, duly licensed security guards, or members of non-governmental organizations to whom may be delegated certain authority subject to such conditions and requirements as the Authority may impose.
- Perform other related functions required to achieve the objective of the MMDA, including the undertaking of delivery of basic services to the local government units, when deemed necessary subject to prior coordination with and consent of the local government unit concerned.
Calendar of Events