June 20, 2016
All Systems Go for 2ND ShakeDrill
At exactly 9 a.m. on Wednesday (June 22), in Metro Manila, all radios and television networks, school bells, door bells, church bells, sirens and vehicle horns will simultaneously be heard to signal the start of the 2nd Metro Manila ShakeDrill simulation exercise.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), together with million inhabitants of the metropolis, have been preparing with eagerness for the 2nd #MMShakeDrill, hoping to duplicate if not surpass last July 30, 2015’s first-ever ShakeDrill which was participated by 6.5 million people.
MMDA Chairman Emerson Carlos said all the agency’s personnel and participants are enjoined to perform the “duck, cover and hold”. Critical scenarios, such as fire, collapsed bridges and buildings, and derailment of trains, will also be simulated to see how rescue teams react and respond.
“We are making sure that no stone is left unturned to guarantee that the 2nd ShakeDrill will be equally successful and that all the challenges and problems encountered last year are now properly addressed,” Carlos said.
A siren, signaling the start of the earthquake drill, will be sounded off ceremonially at 8:30 a.m. at the MMDA headquarters in Makati City. Mayors of the 16 cities and one municipality comprising Metro Manila are expected to attend.
The earthquake drill will be held simultaneously in Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna. It is aimed to raise awareness and promote preparedness should a 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the National Capital Region and nearby provinces.
Based on the map of the Valley Fault System released by the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and and Seismology (Phivolcs), the West Valley Fault also transects portions of the four provinces.
“We hope to institutionalize this exercise so that the public may develop a culture of preparedness,” Carlos said.