What is the protocol for Traffic Officers when apprehending traffic violators?
- Flag down the vehicle and lead it to the roadside where it will not obstruct the flow of traffic.
- Courteously inform the driver of his violation.
- Request for the Drivers license, vehicle registration and other pertinent documents.
- Verify records of driver from Central Database.
- Inform the driver of his previous records should there be any.
- Accomplish TVR without unnecessary delay / argument.
- Issue the second copy to the driver / motorist and inform him / her where and when to pay his / her fine.
- Greet the driver with respect and identify yourself
- Inform the driver of his violation
- State your authority
- Respectfully ask for his driver's license
- Inform the driver not to alight from the vehicle
- Should there be any complaint. State the availability of the TAB for lodging a complaint within (5) days or the Roadside Traffic Arbitration during apprehension (on site).
Sample apprehension dialogue:
Good Morning ! Sir/Madam. I am Traffic Officer Juan Dela Cruz, You violated a traffic rule, you obstructed the flow of traffic. Under MMDA law (R.A 7924) I am authorized to confiscate your license should there be a need to do so. May I have your driver's license please. You are also requested Sir/Madam, not to alight from your vehicle.