1. What is the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law is MMDA Regulation No. 96-009 entitled, "PROHIBITING LITTERING/DUMPING/THROWING OF GARBAGE, RUBBISH OR ANY KIND OF WASTE IN OPEN OR PUBLIC PLACES, AND REQUIRING ALL OWNER'S, LESSEES, OCCUPANTS OF RESIDENTIAL, COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, WHETHER PRIVATE OR PUBLIC TO CLEAN AND MAINTAIN THE CLEANLINESS OF THEIR FRONTAGE AND IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION THEREOF", which was enacted into law by the Metro Manila Council on the 22nd Day of August, 1996. The regulation was amended on May 6, 1999 by MMDA Regulation No. 99-006 and Sec. 48. of R.A. 9003 (entitled Solid Waste Management Act of 2000)
2. When did the Anti-Littering Law take effect?
The law originally took effect on September 15, 1996. The implementation of the law was suspended last August 2002 and re-implemented in Metro Manila since September 16, 2010.
3. What acts are prohibited by the Anti-Littering Law?
The Anti-Littering Law prohibits the following acts:
- Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage;
- Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place;
- Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners;
- Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment;
- Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk);
- Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle;
- Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles; and
- Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.
4. Who have the authority to apprehend violators of this law?
The MMDA have deputized Environmental Enforcers by National Solid Waste Management Commission. They usually coordinate with LGU’s to monitor the major thoroughfares of Metro Manila. These Environmental Enforcers (EE) will initially be in their canary yellow polo-shirt with brown vest uniform (with MMDA logo), with deputation order, identification cards (both MMDA’s ID and Deputation ID) clearly visible and displayed. They will be authorized to issue Environmental Violation Receipts (EVR) to apprehended violator/s of the Anti-Littering Law. The deputized Environmental Enforcers are also authorized to file cases for non-compliance violators or non-payment of the charge administrative fine or penalty.
5. How much is the fine if you violate this law?
The administrative fine or penalties for violating the provisions of the Anti-Littering law, according to the nature of offenses, are as follows:
|Code||Nature of Offense||Amount of fine/ penalty||Option 2
(Render Community Service)
|01||Littering, Illegal dumping, Illegal disposal of garbage||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|02||Urinating, defecating, spitting in a public place||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|03||Dirty frontage and immediate surroundings for establishment owners||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
|04||Improper and untimely stacking of garbage outside residence or establishment||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|05||Obstruction (any dilapidated appliance, vehicle, and etc., display of merchandise, illegal structure along sidewalk)||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
|06||Dirty public utility vehicles, or no trash can or receptacle||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|07||Spilling, scattering, littering of wastes by public utility vehicles||P500.00||8 hours (1 day)|
|08||Illegal posting or installed signage, billboards, posters, streamers and movie ads., etc.||P1000.00||16 hours (2 days)|
6. Where to settle my violation?
OPTION 1 – Payment of administrative fine
- Report to MMDA Health and Sanitation Office for Office at 7th floor of MMDA Bldg. at Edsa Guadalupe, Makati City for payment of the charged administrative fine/penalty.
- Get Order of Payment and pay administrative fines at MMDA Treasury Office.
- Reminders wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, sleeveless t-shirt (male & female) are prohibited inside the MMDA building.
7th Floor Health and Sanitation Office , MMDA Bldg. Edsa cor. Orense St., Guadalupe Nuevo, Makati City
For any Inquiries please contact (02) 882-4150 to 77 Local 1130.
OPTION 2 - Bank Payment
- Payment at any branch of Metrobank nationwide.
- Fill-up Metrobank Payment Slip Form together with your EVR Ticket or Notice/Summon Letter.
- Call-up Health and Sanitation Office 882-0870 to confirm the payment made.
OPTION 3 – To render Community Service
- Report at Health & Sanitation Office at 7th floor, MMDA Bldg. Guadalupe, Makati City for schedule Community Service. This is usually conducted every last Thursday of the month, or if unscheduled, you should be at MMDA before 7:00 am.
- Lecture/Orientation on Anti-littering law.
- Render community service at target area with sighted unsanitary condition and the issuance of Certificate of Compliance after the community service is rendered.
- Reminder: Please observe proper attire. Anyone wearing shorts, slippers, sandos, and sleeveless will not be allowed to enter the building.
7. What if the violators did not settle their violation?
Violators who fail to settle their violation will be sent a summon /notice to inform them of their pending violations.
8. What if the violator fail to comply or reply to the summons/notice of violations sent by MMDA?
Non-compliance to notice/summon will mean elevation of the case to the relevant Metropolitan Trial Court where the violation was committed (Ex. Violation committed in MRT Cubao station, filing of case in Quezon City trial court).
9. What if the violators ignore the subpoena sent by the relevant trial courts?
The case will be forwarded to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to be placed on list and non-issuance of NBI clearance. For violators working in foreign countries, the Bureau of Immigration will be asked to issue a Hold Departure Order.
10. IMPORTANT:Please settle violations immediately. Grace period is only three (3) working days after issuance of EVR. For any inquiries, please contact the Health and Sanitation Services Coordination and Assistance Division at Contact Number: (02) 882-4150 to 77 Local 1130 / Telefax: 882-0870